Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

We Have Always Lived In The Castle


Although it was the first book that we read, I really enjoyed We Have Always Lived In The Castle. As I was reading the book, I kept finding myself thinking how weird the story was, or how demented the characters became as the story progressed, and yet I was eager to find out how the story would end. I believe that the level of detail and ‘spook’ of Mary Catherine really made the book enjoyable for me. I tend to be a very straight to the rules type of personality, but the off-the-wall character of Mary Catherine intrigued me.

I must admit that I was disappointed with the ending, for I felt that it simply just ended with no monumental occurrence. Throughout the book, with the massive fire that swallowed most of their house, and the uncanny personality of Mary Catherine, I was expecting a large, shocking ended, in which I was not given. But that brings me to my thought of perhaps that was the intent of the author, possible to leave us hanging.

For me personally, I am not an avid reader, although I wish I was, so I have to really put in an effort to enjoy and understand the underlying messages within novels. The suspense of the novel, especially with the house fire, gave me no choice but to finish the book as quickly as I could. Additionally, there was a great level of suspense when the visitors or “paparazzi” would come knocking on the door, anticipating an appearance from Mary Catherine, or anyone else inside the home. I believe the suspense of the outsiders and the oddly content personalities of Mary Catherine and Constance inside of the home added an interesting and enjoyable balance of curiosity and suspense, in which I greatly enjoyed.

I do think I would recommend this story to a friend, but most likely only a friend who is very interested in literature, or spooky topics, such as this book. Although it is not a type of book I would normally read on my free time, I enjoyed stepping into fresh waters and reading something not of my usual taste. 

“I can't help it when people are frightened," says Merricat. "I always want to frighten them more.” 


Jackson, Shirley. We Have Always Lived In The Castle. New York: Viking, 1962. 100. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment