Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Option 4- We Have Always Lived In The Castle

Photograph of two-story frame house
 
 
 
 
     When I was a young girl, my grandparents lived across the street from a very old woman who never seemed to leave her house. She lived in a two story white house that was very old and needed a lot of work and repairs. Her house had a white picket fence all the way around,  the fence seemed to always be broken in places; especially the gate you use to go to her front door was in desperate need of a paint job. My grandparents had lived across the street from her for years and knew her very well and being the good neighbors they were would go over every couple of days and check on her and take her anything she might need or want. I remember the old woman being very feeble, swayed back and walked with a cane. Her husband had died years ago and they had never had kids so she had no one to look after her. When I would spend time with my grandparents, I would always be afraid to go over to her house even with them because I was convinced that she would keep me with her forever and I would never get to see my family again. When we would go over to her house, I would hold my grandpa's hand so tight in fear that if he ever let go of my hand I was hers.  The room I sleep in at night was in the front of their house and I would stay awake at night in fear that she would come over and get me. Many nights I would quietly slip in the room and sleep on the floor at the end of their bed. Most nights my grandma would wake up and walk me back into the front bedroom and lay down with me until I fell back to sleep. I never told my grandparents how scared I was but I know now that my grandmother probably knew.
 
 
Stephanie Key
 
 
 
Reference:

Jackson, Shirley. We Have Always Lived In The Castle. New York: Viking, 1962. 100. Print.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment