Search This Blog

Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow


Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Arnau Dachs
Blog #3
Option #1

The story ‘The legend of Sleepy Hollow’ by Washington Irving, talks about the story of Ichabod Crane, a school teacher that moves to the town of Sleepy Hollow. He moves there to teach the little kids from the town. According to the author “ He was tall but exceedingly lank, with narrow shoulders, long arms and long legs and feet that might be used as shovels. His head was small, with huge ears large green glassy eyes and long snipe nose.” (Irving 21). Ichabod is a ladies man and he falls in love with Katrina, who is a pretty girl that has a lot of money. In the blog I will do a comparison between the story and the movie.
Since I read the book first I could say that the character that impressed me the most was Bones. In the book you cannot see all the details like in the movie so while I was reading I was thinking that Bones would be the “Headless Horseman”. Also in the movie shows how in the beginning Bones was the favorite guy in the town. But with the arrival of Ichabod, Bones considers him a competitor and he transforms into a troublemaker and he tries to take Ichabod down.
I really like reading a book and then have the chance of watching the movie. When I am reading I picture everything my way and I associate the characters to people I know. Then I like watching the movie and see how they really look like. The book describes Ichabod very good. In the book the author says “The schoolmaster is generally a man of some importance in the female circle”. (Irving 23) What surprised me was the way he was considered a ladies man. When I was reading I was considering in my mind a ladies man being a “hot” guy but the movie shows that he is a ladies man by being a gentleman. Also the movie tells the story in a more comedic and happy way. The book was darker and definitely more mysterious.

           
Irving Washington. “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.” American Gothic Tales. Ed. Joyce Carol Oates. New York: Plume, 1996. 19-45. Print.  

No comments:

Post a Comment