Search This Blog

Monday, September 16, 2013

Freniere Playlist

Ashley Adams
Blog Option 2

While reading stories, I like to think of a soundtrack for the characters, either what is going on in their minds in a certain scene or what music would be playing in the background if the story was a movie. While the story “Freniere” by Anne Rice has been made into a movie already (Interview with the Vampire), I have a few songs that I think fit into this short excerpt from the whole story. To begin with, “House of the Rising Sun” by The Animals would be the opening song for this story. I feel this song fits the lifestyle and mentality of the people of New Orleans during the time this story is set with they lyrics “There is a house in New Orleans they call the rising sun, and it's been the ruin of many poor boys and God, I know I'm one.” For the fight scene between Freniere and the Spanish boy I thought of “If You Want Blood (You’ve Got It)” by AC/DC. “If you want blood you've got it. Blood on the streets, blood on the rocks, blood in the gutter. Every last drop, you want blood you've got it.” The Spanish boy wants Freniere to bleed and die but ends up the injured one. The song makes “Blood Like Lemonade” by Morcheeba makes me think of Lestat, because "Being a vampire for him mean revenge. Revenge for life itself (354)." I believe this is a result of not having a choice when he was turned into a vampire. The lyrics that I feel really describe who Lestat is are “Hunting high and low to seek revenge. Brand new moral code…Leaving empty souls when he avenged. Evil spirits flowed, he drank the blood like lemonade.” When Louis goes and visits Babette to let her know that her brother has been killed, I chose the song “My Vampire Heart” by Tom McRae. Louis is there to talk to Babette but he doesn’t want her sisters to know she is there the lyrics “Here we are in the darkest place, my reflection shows only your face” helped set that scene up in my mind. For the end of the story I chose “Fighter” by Christina Aguilera. Everyone thought that a woman could not do anything for herself, much less run a plantation. Babette took this challenge on and was successful in running the plantation and even helped one of her sisters and herself find men to marry.

Anne Rice. “Freniere.” American Gothic Tales. Ed. Joyce Carol Oates. New York: The Penguin  Group. 349-357. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment